Civil Engineering is one of the oldest fields of engineering that deals with the planning, construction, and maintenance of fixed structures, or public works, which are related to earth, water, or civilization and their processes of development. Majority of projects like power plants, bridges, roads, railways, structures, water supply, irrigation, the natural environment, sewer, flood control, transportation and traffic are dealt by Civil Engineering.
Galgotias Civil Engineering Department is involved in education and research programs covering a spectrum of activities in Civil Engineering.
To be a centre of excellence for practical oriented education in Civil Engineering.
- To impart excellent engineering education and produce competent professionals capable to analyse, design and supervise construction of Civil Engineering structures for societal and environmental needs.
- To provide global avenues to the students and faculty to enhance their professional careers.
- To collaborate with the industries to ensure efficient project management and entrepreneurship development.
Program Educational Objectives
Civil Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Acquire knowledge and expertise in analysis, design and construction of Civil Engineering structures with cost economics, structural safety, functional aesthetics and harmony conducive to the environment.
- Ensure right engineering attitude for professional Civil Engineering roles and enhance competency in work culture and higher education.
- Inculcate an attitude for lifelong learning to become ethical civil engineers and imbibe a sense of responsible citizen to serve the society and the nation.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and I T tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program specific outcomes
Civil Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Plan and design for construction of civil engineering systems to meet the changing needs of the society within realistic constraints of economy and environment with thrust on social and ethical issues to ensure construction management, safety, quality and sustainability.
- Design for construction of hydraulics structures, multi-storeyed buildings and industrial structures, roads, railways, bridges, water supply and sewage treatment plants using various principles of civil engineering.